Ph.D., Development Policy and Management (Manchester), MPA, Public Management and Policy (Pittsburgh), B.Ed. (Tirana)
Public policy theory and practice, public sector human resource development and management, good governance
Dr. Artan Karini
53 Kabanbay batyr Avenue
Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan 010000
Telephone: +7 7172 70 60 41
Dr Artan Karini specializes in comparative public management and reform, international HRM, global governance institutions and development aid effectiveness. His 20 years’ experience as academic, researcher and senior academic advisor has spanned across Europe, North America and MENA/GCC. He is a former Fulbright scholar and has published in several reputable international journals through publishers including Springer, Routledge and Palgrave Mcmillan. In addition to his formal training as an academic, he holds a professional designation in Advanced HR from Queen’s University (Canada).
Prior to joining the Graduate School of Public Policy (GSPP) at Nazabayev University, he served as Adjunct Research Professor at the Institute of European, Russian and Eurasian Studies, Carleton University (Canada), Assistant Professor and MPA Director at the American University in Cairo (AUC) as well as faculty member at a large private university in northern Oman. Dr. Karini currently teaches courses in Public Management and Leadership (MPP641) and Strategic Management (MPA608).
- Karini, A. (2019). International Aid, Administrative Reform and the Politics of EU Accession: The Case of Albania. Springer. ISBN: 978-3-319-97834-5 (eBook ISBN: 978-3-319-97834-5).
- Karini A. (2021) From the Ottoman Legacy to Modern Public Management Systems: Evidence from Turkey, Kosova and Kazakhstan. In: Sullivan H., Dickinson H., Henderson H. (eds) The Palgrave Handbook of the Public Servant. Palgrave Macmillan, Cham. ISBN10 3030299791
Peer-reviewed journal publications
- Karini, A. (2017). Facilitators and Constraints of Policy Learning for Administrative Capacity in the Western Balkans. NISPAcee Journal of Public Administration and Policy, 10(2), 73-92.
- Karini, A. (2016). Coordination without effectiveness? A critique of the Paris agenda in the experience of development aid in Albania. The European Journal of Development Research, 28(4), 741-757.
- Karini, A. (2015). Lesson-learning between Canada and Europe: promoting good governance in the developing world. Études canadiennes/Canadian Studies. Revue interdisciplinaire des études canadiennes en France, (79), 29-47.
- Karini, A. (2013) Aid-Supported Public Service Reform and Capacity Development in Post-Communist Albania, International Journal of Public Administration (Routledge), 36:7, 469-481
- Karini, A. (2018) A Reading of Recent Developments in the EU and Implications for Governance Reform in Egypt and MENA (conference proceeding, 2018 IPSA World Congress, Brisbane, Australia).
- Karini, A. (2014) The Bumpy Road to EU and the Impact of Donor Programs on PA Reform: Perspectives from Southeast Europe. CETD/ SSHRC, Democracy and Governance Policy Briefs Series (July 2014).
- Karini, A. (2009) Building Citizen Centered Policy-Making – Global Perspectives and Best Practices. Open Society Institute (OSI) Think-Tank Fund for Policy Centers: Institute for Democracy and Mediation Policy Paper.