PhD in Development Studies, University of Cambridge (Department of Politics and International Studies).
LLM (Master of Laws in Public Law and Global Governance), King’s College London.
Governments and multinational enterprises (MNEs), institutions and development policies, political economy of state, democracy and social media
Dr. Serik Orazgaliyev
Graduate School of Public Policy Nazarbayev University
Room 4.010, 53 Kabanbay batyr Avenue
Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan 010000
Telephone: +7 7172 70 91 60
Dr. Serik Orazgaliyev is an Associate Professor at the Graduate School of Public Policy (Nazarbayev University). His previous appointments include visiting faculty position at Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, National University of Singapore and visiting research affiliate at Cambridge Central Asia Forum.
He is the recipient of Asian Universities Alliance (AUA) Scholars Award (2019) and Bolashak International Scholarship (2012). Having over ten years of teaching experience, Dr.Serik Orazgaliyev taught in AUA Lecture Series, attended by students representing fifteen AUA universities from thirteen countries including China, Japan, India, Hong Kong, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Singapore, and United Arab Emirates.
His research appeared in top journals in their respective areas including, International Journal of the Commons, Journal of Eurasian Studies and Thunderbird International Business Review. He is currently working on a book monograph on a contract with Routledge publisher.
- Raghavan, A.; Demircioglu, M.A.; Orazgaliyev, S. (2021) COVID-19 and the New Normal of Organizations and Employees: An Overview. Sustainability, 13:11942. https://doi.org/10.3390/su132111942
- Akhmetzharov S, Orazgaliyev S. (2021) Labor unions and institutional corruption: The case of Kazakhstan. Journal of Eurasian Studies, doi:10.1177/18793665211041198
- Orazgaliyev, S. (2020). The role of home governments in entry bargaining of multinationals: China’s investment in Central Asia’s natural resource sector. Thunderbird International Business Review, 62(3), 249-262. https://doi.org/10.1002/tie.22128
- Orazgaliyev, S., & Araral, E. (2019). Conflict and Cooperation in Global Commons: Theory and Evidence from the Caspian Sea. International Journal of the Commons, 13(2), 962–976, DOI: http://doi.org/10.5334/ijc.914
- Orazgaliyev, S. (2019). The Overland Silk Road: China’s Energy Cooperation with Central Asia in the Context of Industry Competition. China: An International Journal, 17(4), 62-75. https://www.muse.jhu.edu/article/742821.
- Orazgaliyev, S. (2018). State intervention in Kazakhstan’s energy sector: Nationalisation or participation? Journal of Eurasian Studies, 9(2), 143–151. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.euras.2018.06.001
- Orazgaliyev, S. (2018). Reconstructing MNE-host country bargaining model in the international oil industry. Transnational Corporations Review, 10:1, https://doi.org/10.1080/19186444.2018.1436646
- Orazgaliyev S. (2017) ‘Competition for pipeline export routes in the Caspian region: The new great game or the new Silk Road?’ Cambridge Journal of Eurasian Studies 2:1.
- Burkhanov A., Orazgaliyev S. and Araral E., (2021) Political Culture and Power Transition: The Case of Kazakhstan, in Kazakhstan’s Political Transition, edited by Jean-Francois Caron, Palgrave MacMillan.
- Orazgaliyev S., (2021) Nationalisation and the role of national oil companies: the case of Kazakhstan, in Reforming State-Owned Enterprises in Asia, Eds.: Taghizadeh-Hesary, F., Yoshino N., Kim C.J., Springer Nature.
- Orazgaliyev, S., & Akhmetzharov, S. (2020). Kazakhstan’s Economy and the Oil Sector: A Developmental State or Resource Curse Model?. In Kazakhstan’s Developmental Journey (pp. 15-50). Palgrave Macmillan, Singapore.
- Araral E., Mukherjee M., Qi F. and Orazgaliyev S. (2019), Water Commons: A Critical Appreciation and Revisionist View, Routledge Handbook of the Study of the Commons, eds: Blake H., Rosenbloom J., and Cole D., London: Routledge.
- Orazgaliyev S. (2019), From Conflict to Consensus: Energy Geopolitics in the Caspian Region, in The Idea of the Northern Tier: A New Order in the Middle East? Editor: Serkan Yolacan, Middle East Institute, Singapore: NUS Press.
- Murzakulova, A., Schmidt-Vogt D., Mendelevitch R., Orazgaliyev S., Darr D., Kasumov U., Hamidov A., and Balla D. (2019) “Water for agriculture and other economic sectors.” In The Aral Sea Basin: Water for Sustainable Development in Central Asia, pp. 86-99. Routledge.