Position: Assistant Professor
Education Background: Ph.D., Development Studies, University of Cambridge, LLM (Master of Laws in Public Law and Global Governance), King’s College London
Governments and multinational enterprises (MNEs), institutions and development policies, international political economy, Central Asian Studies, petroleum resource management
Dr. Serik Orazgaliyev
Assistant Professor, Graduate School of Public Policy (GSPP)
53 Kabanbay batyr Avenue
Astana, Kazakhstan 010000
Telephone: +7 7172 70 91 60
Dr Serik Orazgaliyev is an Assistant Professor at the Graduate School of Public Policy (Nazarbayev University) and a visiting Research Fellow at Cambridge Central Asia Forum (Jesus College, University of Cambridge). In 2017 Dr. Orazgaliyev was a visiting Assistant Professor at Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, National University of Singapore. Before joining academia Dr Orazgaliyev also spent five years as a practitioner working as a civil servant in the Parliament of Kazakhstan.
At Nazarbayev University, Serik Orazgaliyev’s research projects are supported by Social Policy Grant (2018) and Individual Research Grant. He was a finalist of ABTA2016 doctoral researcher awards (United Kingdom) for his doctoral dissertation titled: ‘Political economy of multinational enterprise-host country bargaining in the developing world’. At GSPP S.Orazgaliyev is currently teaching the following courses: Institutions and Development Policies (MPA617), Comparative Constitutional Law (MPA623), Law and Public Policy (DPP615).
- Orazgaliyev, S. (2018), State intervention in Kazakhstan’s energy sector: nationalisation or participation?, Journal of Eurasian Studies, 9(2)
- Orazgaliyev, S. (2018). Reconstructing MNE-host country bargaining model in the international oil industry. Transnational Corporations Review, 10:1.
- Orazgaliyev S. (2017) ‘Competition for pipeline export routes in the Caspian region: The new great game or the new Silk Road?’ Cambridge Journal of Eurasian Studies (1:5B75G8).
- Orazgaliyev, S. and Saxena, S. (2015) ‘Technology challenges and opportunities for Kazakhstan’s petroleum industry’, Review of the Oil and Gas sector (39).
Book chapters, monographs and op-eds:
- Araral E., Mukherjee M., Qi F. and Orazgaliyev S. (forthcoming in 2018), Water Commons: A Critical Appreciation and Revisionist View, forthcoming in Routledge Handbook of the Study of the Commons, London: Routledge.
- Orazgaliyev, S. (2016), Political economy of MNE-host country bargaining relations in developing world: a case study of Kazakhstan’s petroleum industry, Doctoral Manuscript, Cambridge, UK.
- Pelizzo, R., Burkhanov, A., Orazgaliyev, S., Araral, E. (2017). Constitutional reform: what Kazakhstan can learn from international experience? Op-Ed, Astana Times, 25 Feb. 2017.
- Orazgaliyev S., ‘Yest’ li u gosudarstva svoya ‘nevidimaya ruka’? Op-Ed., Tengrinews.kz, 27 Dec. 2016, https://tengrinews.kz/markets/est-li- u-gosudarstva- svoya-nevidimaya- ruka-308952/.
- Orazgaliyev S. ‘Konstitucionnye reformy’, Liter newspaper, Op-Ed., 31 January 2017.