Applicants applying to the PhD in Public Policy program are expected to have:
- First or upper-class second honors degree (or equivalent: Cum Laude; Magna Cum Laude; and Summa Cum Laude) or a master’s degree in a cognate discipline;
- The required level of English proficiency.
Overall IELTS test score of 6.5 (with sub-score requirements no less than 6.0), or the equivalent TOEFL score as posted on the ETS website);
Applicants to the PhD in Public Policy program, at the discretion of the Admissions Committee, can be exempted from submitting the language proficiency test report if:
– one of their earlier academic degrees was earned in a country with English as the language of official communication, academic instruction, and daily life;
– an undergraduate degree was earned in a program which was officially taught in English;
– the applicant is a graduate of Nazarbayev University.
- GMAT/GRE (may be submitted);
- 2 (two) letters of recommendation;
- At least 3 (three) years of relevant work experience.
Based on GSPP’s Admissions Committee discretion, applicants with work experience less than 3 (three) years may also be considered if the applicant can demonstrate high academic performance as decided by the Admissions Committee.
Applicants to the PhD in Public Policy program are required to complete and submit online the application form available at the University website (http://admissions.nu.edu.kz), as well as a complete package of admission documents before the deadline.
Applicants will be required to pay a non-refundable application fee (for Kazakhstani citizens – KZT 5,000, for international applicants – KZT 14,000).
Shortlisted applicants must provide original copies of all documents.
The checklist for the application package for the PhD program:
- Complete Application form for PhD in Public Policy program;
- Official copy of degree diplomas/certificates with transcripts(with notarized English translation);
- IELTS or TOEFL test report/certificate valid as of commencement of the program (if applicable);
- Notarized copy of Passport/national ID;
- GMAT/GRE test reports/certificates (optional) valid as of commencement of the PhD in Public Policy program;
- 2 letters of recommendation;
- Notarized copy of Labor card with English translation or another documented proof of work experience (if applicable);
- Cover letter explaining the motivation to enroll on the PhD program;
- Preliminary research proposal (2,000 words).
Submission of complete application package does not guarantee admission to the PhD in Public Policy program.