Ph.D., Mineral Economics. 2002, Colorado School of Mines (USA)
Climate and energy policy and economics; development issues in oil-dependent developing and transition economies; and public policy evaluation
Dr. Peter Howie
Associate Professor of Economics
Graduate School of Public Policy
Room 4.020 Nazarbayev University
53 Kabanbay batyr Avenue
Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan 010000
Telephone: +7 7172 705790
Peter Howie joined the Graduate School of Public Policy as an Associate Professor of Public Policy in 2012. Dr. Howie received his doctorate in Mineral Economics from the Colorado School of Mines. His fields of research include: climate and energy policy and economics; development issues in oil-dependent developing and transition economies; and public policy evaluation. He has also written on environmental policies. Dr. Howie contributes to GSPP’s course portfolio by teaching courses in Benefit Cost Analysis, Natural Resource Policy and Management, and Microeconomics.
Prior to joining Nazarbayev University, Dr. Howie worked in the School of Policy Studies at Mount Royal University, which is located in Calgary, Canada, where he taught courses (Statistics and Research Methods; Public Economics, Project Valuation, Microeconomics and Macroeconomics) in the Bachelors of Policy Studies program.
Dr. Howie also spent 9 years as a practitioner working in the global mining industry prior to joining academia.
- Assessing initial conditions and ETS outcomes in a fossil-fuel dependent economy, Energy Strategy Reviews, (with Zauresh Atakhanova), available online: https://authors.elsevier.com/sd/article/S2211-467X(22)00018-9, 2022
- “Evaluating policy success of emissions trading schemes in emerging economies: comparing the experiences of Korea and Kazakhstan,” Climate Policy, (with Shreekant Gupta, Hojeong Park and Daulet Akmetov), available online: https://doi.org/10.1080/14693062.2020.1751030, 2020
- “Support for nuclear power: A temporal and spatial separation analysis,” Post-Communist Economies, (with Yerzhan Dyussenov and Ilyas Yesdauletov), available online: https://doi.org/10.1080/14631377.2020.1722581, 2020
- “Heterogeneous labor and structural change in low-and middle-income, resource-dependent countries,” Economic Change and Restructuring, available online: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10644-018-9242-9, (with Zauresh Atakhanova), 2020
- “Metal intensity of use in the era of global value chains.” Mineral Economics, available online: https://doi.org/10.1007/s13563-019-00176-5, (with Zauresh Atakhanova), 2020
- “COVID-19 and the Power Industry Response: the Case of Kazakhstan” IAEE Energy Forum, COVID-19 Issue, available online: https://www.iaee.org/en/publications/newsletterdl.aspx?id=893, (with Daulet Akhmetov), 2020